Monday, November 11, 2013

Oops

That basically sums up my stance on the whole "I haven't posted on my blog for almost a month now" deal.  But I must say, I do regret waiting so long. I'm sure I'll forget to put something now but LESSON LEARNED.
So, I left off right when we were about to go to Stuttgart. We stayed with my host mom's sister- okay pause-
Can I use names now? I've been talking about my family for long enough that people actually reading should know who I mean, right? I'll lay it out really quickly just in case... Adelheid= host mom, Sami= host dad, Jakob= host brother, Sarah= host sister (younger), Miriam= host sister(older), Simsim= host dog, and Pablo= host fish that I named. -okay unpause- 
In Stuttgart we were staying with Adelheid's sister and her two kids. It was really adorable because we told her 7 year old son that he had to speak actual German and not German gibberish while I was around because I am still learning the language, so then he started holding up his toys and telling me how to say their names. Stuff like ships, pirates, a farm. So cute. In Stuttgart I also found new foods I like, such as Grießbrei. Oh my goodness, so delicious. And we saw a comedian-singer-entertainer called Wenzel (I think. It was a month ago...) and I was excited that I understood enough to get to laugh along with the crowd. Like, really laugh. Not just laughing because other people are. :) we visited a few museums in Stuttgart, and I took a ton of photos that I'll have to post. One museum had a gnome drowning in chocolate and a BMW bike, and the other one had an umbrella you could play like a violin and a piano dresser. We spent a decent amount of time getting tea or coffee at different places around the city too. Another thing I'd like to point out about Germany, I cannot fathom why Starbucks even exists here. The little cafés where you seat yourself and they come over and the menus are in English and you order and then they don't understand you so your host mom has to say it in German and then the waitress goes like "ohhh, you meant_____" as if correcting your English but not because you speak English and you said it right but without a German accent so it was wrong, those places are the best! It's always delicious and even looks pretty. Plus, pretty much anything you order is served with a cookie and you really can't beat free cookies in my book. The hills in Stuttgart are so steep that riding up on the train feels like an ascending roller coaster. I'm not even exaggerating, you would have to be so in shape to live there and not have a car. We climbed a pretty big one and got a picture of the city, and of us girls in front of the view, I'll post that one. It was really beautiful while we were in Stuttgart, not too bright and fall colors everywhere. 
On Tuesday we (me, Sarah, and Adelheid) left Stuttgart, and Miriam stayed to do a week of working for her aunt. On our way home to Mettmann we stopped in Darmstadt to visit my best friend over here, Maria, and I got to spend a few hours walking around and eating ice cream with her, which was really really nice. 
The days in between that and our Stuttgart family coming to visit are sort of a blur. I know that it's worth saying that 1. I helped make Schnitzel for dinner one night. 2. I helped make AND ACTUALLY ATE OKAY lamb. Me. Zoë Grayson. I ate lamb. I think. That's what I remember them calling it.
The family we visited in Stuttgart came to visit use for a weekend or so when Miriam came back home. When they asked Johnny (the 7 year old) who he wanted to bring him to bed, he said "die Zoë weil sie ist die netteste" (which basically means Zoë because she's the nicest) and then he asked me to try to read the bedtime story to him and his sister and I tried but man, those kids laughed their butts off at my broken German trying to read a legitimate chapter book. So Miriam helped out and took over, and nearly put me to sleep as well. 
What else is worth mentioning...
SO MUCH, but there's so much of it that I just don't remember! I definitely need to do once a week posts or else I won't be able to look back on this and read to remember my time here. 
Hmmm. I finally got to start my online schooling, which I'm surprisingly happy about. Apparently too happy though, because when I wrote my plot summary and turned it in to my teacher, he emailed back saying I was doing much more than I needed to. The only things that matter are computer generated. 
Today is the first day of Karneval, which is also really exciting because it's one of those things that are so ridiculously German that you can't not be excited about. Plus I live really close to Cologne, and I think that's where my family goes for it, and that place is huge! Not to mention, Karneval coming along means that Weihnachtsmärkten are that much closer. Christmas in Germany, I can't wait.
Oh, speaking of Christmas- Brendan is coming to visit a little while after Christmas for a weekend, so I'll get to show him my pieces of Germany :) I'll also probably make him send y'all any Christmas gifts because I feel like it'd be cheaper on post than off. 
Well, I believe that's all I have for y'all. I'm sorry this one is so jumbled and lame. Shoving 4 weeks into one post is just not smart. I'll try to make the next one more enjoyable to read, :) bis später y'all!


Ps. I'm posting about my Köln visit tomorrow! 
Fountain in Stuttgart

(Left to right)
Sarah, Me, and Miriam taking a break after trekking up that hill. :)
And then just me being goofy with statues. Some things just don't change. 


1 comment:

  1. I loved reading about your experiences!!!! Stuggart was where Julia went before she came over here! You crossed paths! You were probably not too far from her home. She has lots of hills!

    ReplyDelete