Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Weihnachten/ Christmas

With Michael Bublé singing us carols, the lights on the tree shimmering, and the smell of lit candles and Rotkohl filling the air; I'd like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. 
I'll be posting a vlog entry about the differences between German and American Christmas and link you to it at the bottom of the page. But here on this lovely blog that y'all have been missing (hi dad), we're going to talk about the exchange student aspect of it all. 
First things first, a few weekends ago, I met up with my friend Isabel. This is a really great example of how small the world is. I met her in 2012 while she was on an exchange of her own in Bowling Green, and she spent half a year with us at Bowling Green High until Christmas came and she had to leave. Now, a year later, I've gotten to meet back up with her. Not only did I move to her country this year, but I moved about 15 minutes away from her. We live in neighboring towns. It's such a coincidence that of ALL cities in America, she was placed in BG and of all the places in Germany, I ended up a quick bus ride from her. So we figured we had to take advantage of that, and met up in Dusseldorf to see the Christmas markets. It was a great night, because we hadn't spent so much time together in BG so in a way, we were getting to know each other and it was a night so full of laughter that I went home with my stomach hurting. It was really nice getting to see her again, and we're hoping to meet up another time, maybe even in Hilden. :)

So, as an exchange student, of course Christmas is seen as a time that you're going to get a little homesick and sad. But as an exchange student in Germany? I don't think it's physically possible for me to be homesick during Christmas. I'm too busy learning all these new things about the culture, eating new foods, and laughing with my family. I do miss my dad, and I do hope he doesn't feel too alone this Christmas, but I wouldn't say I'm sad. No, definitely not sad. Germany is the best possible place to spend Christmas, y'all have no idea. My family decided to do a crafty Christmas this year, and it was perfect. Everything was so thoughtful. Some were funny (i made reinbeer for Jakob), some were delicious (basically everything Miriam made but SHE MADE ME NUTELLA <3), but all of them brought smiles and gave us new memories. Even Hundihund got a gift. We didn't get snow, but it was beautiful anyway. I feel very blessed that I've gotten to spend the holidays in this Christmas wonderland with my second family. I don't think I've ever felt quite so filled with love. Thank you all for taking me in, (Miriam and Sami especially for hand-picking me), and I hope everyone back in America has a blissful Christmas and a happy happy new year. 
Enjoy these photos of me with my lovely siblings. :)
For those of you who still aren't sure; Left to Right- Sarah, Zoë, Miriam
Jakob and I showing off his "reinbeer" that I gave him for Christmas



And now, here's the video:

1 comment:

  1. I'm dreaming, of a wet christmas! Cuz all itdoes here is rains

    ReplyDelete