Monday, September 23, 2013

Maybe...

Maybe somewhere, in a far far away land, it is still Sunday. We'll hold on to that hope.
I don't think I was awake long enough on Sunday to post anything. Sunday is a day for tea at the kitchen table and reading in bed. Relaxing and recouping from the events over the past few nights. I'm pretty sure I've gone to a party every weekend since arriving in Mettmann, but I'm not complaining! Just sleepy as I'm adjusting to actually doing things. :p It's a nice change in activity regarding my social life. I've never liked parties, but my Germans do it right, and I'm sitting here on a Monday night so eager for the next one. 
Time is going by far too quickly. In two weeks, my exchange year will be 20% over. The chart they gave us depicting the emotional rollercoaster of an exchange year shows that homesickness should be hitting right about now as the newness is wearing off, but it's not happening. I'm overwhelmingly in love with my new home. Of course, without a doubt, I miss everyone back home. But that is all. Everything is different, every detail. I absolutely adore my lifestyle in America where it's just me and my dad, because it works perfectly for us. Mexican food every night and watching MMA, or playing Rockband. I can't say I don't miss that. But having eight people at my dinner table? It's such a change from what I'm used to, but I truly enjoy it. Experiment's motto (one of the many) is "It's not good, it's not bad, it's just different". And that's the best way to put it. I wouldn't change my two people coffee table dinners for the world (because I'm forever a daddy's girl), but spending a year in a different household is just really nice. It's like a separate life here, and it's impossible to explain how happy I am. So many of my fellow exchange students talk about how they don't know how they can make it through the year, and the only thing that's hard for me at this point is the idea of ever having to leave. I love the people I've met, the community, the food, the culture, the small differences that combine to make a completely new experience... And I've only been here for, what? Almost 2 months, I think? Germany is everything I thought it would be and more. I know it's going to fly right past me, so I'm doing all I can to soak it up. It's such a bittersweet thought that I'll be a college student back home this time next year. 
As for the small differences, I think they're pretty interesting, so I'm going to lay them out for you:
We'll start in the bathroom- 
1. I don't know if this is the case for all German showers because I only live with one amazing, caring, fabulous family, but this shower is the coolest. I'll add a picture to the post when I go to shower tonight. (just of the knobby things, they're supah cool)
2. Toilets, y'all. There are no pressy down handle majiggers. There's just two buttons. 
And that's what I have for you on bathrooms. Now in general...
10. The food is basically always fresh. My family eats exceptionally healthy in my opinion. Mostly vegetarian meals, things with noodles, rice, basically anything delicious. 
9. There are these crosswalks called "zebra stripes" and there's no little man light indicating when you can and can't cross. No matter how fast a car is driving, or how close they are to the stripes, you have the right of way. Constantly. It scares the poop out of me because Germans drive REALLY fast and I always think they won't stop but then, of course, they do and then I awkwardly wave and try to run/walk across which, without fail, ends up in me tripping. 
8. The windows open two ways typically, and do not have screens. They can tilt inwards- which vents them. Or, and this is my absolute favorite thing ever, they can open like doors and you can sit in the windowsill. I'm going to miss that a lot.
7. Light switches are all buttons.
6. There's not usually any closets. You use a wardrobe. :)
5. There's a German way to make the bed!! I think I've posted a photo of it before, but I'll post it again just in case.
4. BREAD. Don't get me started.
3. It may just be my town, but it's intensely artistic. For example, every all of my high school is painted by students the year they graduate. Pictures to come, no worries.
2. All of the taxis are Mercedes-Benzes. (Yes, that is the plural of Mercedes-Benz. Look it up; I did)
1.Trust has got to be the number one difference. People loan each other money without worry, because they know they'll get paid back. The other day, I went to Aldi with my sister, and she just tied the dog outside as we went in to grab a few things. Simsim is a REALLY nice dog, she's a German Shepard with long beautiful hair and I would be way too terrified to leave a dog that gorgeous out where someone could take her. But that just goes to show you. It's really different here. They don't worry about things like that. Another example, I dropped a €10 bill the other day and the boy behind me picked it up and handed it to me with a smile. I love that about Germany. Unwavering trust for each other. 
That's all for tonight, y'all. Sincerest apologies for a serious lack of a posting schedule!

How to make a German bed^^ except without the letterman. :p That's my American rendition.


The knobs are all one bar! 

One side is shows you the temperature of the water...
And one side shows the water pressure! 
I still don't know what the buttons do so I don't press them, but pretty cool, huh?

2 comments:

  1. I knew you'd enjoy it! You'll have to do a collegiate exchange as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dieser Blog ist zu gut. Sie inspirieren mich zu einem meiner eigenen zu machen, aber ich weiß, es wird nicht annähernd so cool, da ich in einem kleinen Stück Amerika bald, während ich in Deutschland bin ... also werde ich auf Facebook Posten kleben. Ich bin wirklich Diggin 'diesen Blog, halten die Bilder und Beiträge!


    This blog is too good. You inspire me to make one of my own, but I know it won't be nearly as cool since I'll be in a little slice of America while I'm in Germany... so I'll stick to Facebook posts. I'm really diggin' this blog, keep up the pictures and posts!

    ReplyDelete