Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Randomly Timed Post

~Bringing you up to date, bringing you up to date, rapping a rap about bringing you up to date~
If you didn't read that in my rap singer voice, you're doing this wrong.
So, friends, family, strangers, hello again. I've missed you. Have you missed me? It's okay, we're together now. I didn't want to wait until Sunday to let you know what has happened since my last post and I'm pretty sure I missed this Sunday BUT HEY. I'm doing what I can, okay? Slow clap for the fact that I'm updating it all, because life in Germany is eventful and busy. 
For example, some day last week I had a few free periods and went to town with my friend Jana (who is actually one of the chillest people I know, adore that girl) and I got my first German "pommes frites" with her. You can't get more eventful than french fries, people. Having town being so close to school is actually unhealthy for me with my exchange student schedule. I have gone shopping during the school day at least 4 times in the past two weeks. But that's 100% justifiable because I found a decently priced winter coat that is adorable and I needed one. I just happened to buy 2 pairs of leggings, shirts, a rucksack, shoes, and a watch on the way out of the store...s. Stop thinking what you're thinking, Miley Cyrus said only God could judge me.  
Speaking of shopping, we went to Dusseldorf on Saturday and I got to see Altstadt Dusseldorf. The city is so nice, and I love how close we live to it.  We went and had tea, and I tried the fresh mint tea, which was not only delicious but also beautiful. Another new favorite of mine. (pictures in next post or on facebook). Oh, and Dad? You were right about the candy stores. I know, I know, when aren't you right, haha. We went to this chocolate shop and I was just blown away. AND FREE SAMPLES. It was so pretty and yummy and German. But oh goodness, as we came in there was this couple and the man was pulling the woman out of the store yelling at her to leave and causing this huge scene. Then later, when we started to head home, the police ran past us down the stairs to the train and I swear I thought, "I bet it's those drunks from the chocolate shop." We got downstairs and LO AND BEHOLD, I was right. (I get that from my dad.) Let me say, my German skills have definitely improved since moving in with my family. But I'm a pretty far ways away from understanding drunken and sob-ridden German. Sarah and Miriam were translating for me and basically it was just typical dumb crazy people drama. But what was so funny about it was the woman pulled out a huge bottle of vodka and started guzzling it while trying to get the polizei to pity her. Meanwhile there's this grandma standing within 2 feet of the cops and the couple; just blatantly watching some live tv. I loved that she didn't even bother to hide it, she was leaned in and everything. All tiny and cute. 
After we got home, Miriam and I left pretty quickly to go make nachos with Malte, Nils, Lulu, and Franci. There's no way I spelled all of their names right, but A for effort, okay? We tried to make them completely from scratch, chips and all, and needless to say- that didn't end well with 6 chefs. The tortillas burnt, the guac was white and lemony, and our cheese wouldn't melt correctly no matter how intense our efforts were. So that warranted a trip to REWE and ALDI, to buy chips and dip. Leave it to us to make 3 separate trips to buy dip. We spent the rest of the night flipping between High School Musical and Spiderman 3 auf Deutsch. I was so overly excited about this, I can't even put it into words. I was so animated that they actually recorded me singing and dancing along to HSM. And because it turned out to be such a great movie selection (yours truly, of course), we're having another HSM movie night this Friday. Ha! Germany, y'all. Gets better everyday. I'll be able to post pictures on here when I get them onto the Internet. :)
Sidenote update, I made my very first real omelette the other day and I was very excited. Everyone tried some, and it was all gone by the end of the meal. My host mother is the most amazing cook, but she doesn't do anything by recipe so I'm trying to learn by watching her. I love her food, there hasn't been a single meal I didn't love. I want to be able to cook like that eventually. 
As for my sportsy spree, last night I went with Sarah to "training" rather than aerobics and for the first time ever... wait for it, wait for it... I, Zoë Raeanne Grayson, worked out. GASP. I know, insane. If you know me, you understand. If you don't know me, let me clear this up for you. 
I'm what they call "tollpatischig" in Germany. (Yes, I am proud of my new word that I can't pronounce.) I'm the clumsiest, period. Queen Klutz, pleased to meet you. And I don't mean clumsy like your cutesy girlfriend who stumbles over a misplaced object and giggles about it. I mean full throttle, falling up the stairs, bumping my hip on things the height of my knee, tripping over air, and then without fail, falling back down the stairs. I spend more time on my sore bum than on my feet, I fall so often. It might actually be a serious condition, so lifting weights sounds like a terrible idea, yes? Don't care. I'm trying new things. I just stayed far far away from "free weights" (thank you Austin for my new sporty vocabulary) and stuck to things that were impossible to drop on myself or anyone around me. And believe it or not, I made it out of that room without a single bruise. :) And then promptly slipped and slid down the stairs to the locker room. There's just no escaping the clumsy.
This entry is already longer than I meant for it to be, so I'll try to wrap it up. If you're family, or a really good friend, and I haven't already asked for your address- Please take the time to quickly message it to me or something. If you want postcards or souveneirs, whatever, hook me up so I know where to send it. Thanks for reading, y'all. If it weren't for those of you who come and talk to me about my entries ~Grammy Sandra (: ~ then I wouldn't have the motivation to post at all and I know I'll appreciate it when I get back to the states. Welp! That's all for tonight, folks. Nacht!! :)
 Proof of my omelette.

My new coat :D


2 comments:

  1. Did they have the little French fry forks? Did anyone put mayo on their fries? I loved how something as simple as French fries could be viewed so differently!!
    I sure would enjoy seeing pictures of these friends, events, and places you mention!! Hook us up Baby Bird!!
    I love you tons, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoë, freue dich auf deine ersten echten holländischen Pommes mit Yoppisaus! That woll be yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete