Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Application Process

If anyone thinking about applying for an exchange program ends up here, this entry is for you:

In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes made throughout this process by applicants is people treating it like a college application. While for CBYX you have to have at least a 3.0 GPA, the exchange program is not a scholarly competition. The GPA requirement is there so they can make sure you'll still graduate on time and be fine after spending a year abroad. They're not looking for a 4.3 GPA, they're looking for adaptability, resilience, and personality.
When applying, focus on letting yourself shine. Don't hide behind grades or awards you've received, because they want to know who you really are and if you'll be a good ambassador of the U.S.

If you haven't played many sports or joined many clubs and you're freaking out about it; Don't. I haven't played a single sport in highschool and really haven't stuck with any clubs, but when I applied to the exchange I was adamant about my hobbies and volunteering and I still made it in.
Make sure the teachers you choose for recommendations are reliable. I chose my German teacher for one because I figured that would look good (trying to go to Germany and all) and I ended up really regretting it. She didn't bring it back to me until 2 days before it was due, and I had given it to her about a month and half prior. Even then, it wasn't a recommendation, it basically said she thought I wasn't aware of what I was signing up for. So, point being, choose wisely for the teachers recc's.
On the subject of German, or whatever language your exchange destination speaks, if you don't speak it- don't fret. I have only taken about 4 semesters of German, and I know a lot of people that got accepted into the program that don't speak a lick of German. You learn from the full immersion. Don't sweat it.
That's all I can think of to say aside from DO NOT PROCRASTINATE YOUR APPLICATION. Time runs out fast, and they're very in depth. I'm done for now.
Guten Nacht :)

No comments:

Post a Comment